Pages

Thursday, August 11, 2011

My back burns like the fires of hell!

The munchkin and I spent the entire day outside today at a pool.  At the community pool.  I'm really glad I can adapt well to different cultures because WOW the pool experience alone is a huge culture shock!  I remembered to put sunscreen on which is a step in the right direction however I didn't get my entire back so now I have a nice large lobster red area.  One step forward, two steps back.....


Today I'm going to share some handy Android apps with you.  These are all free apps.

The first of these apps is the Robert Kaufman Quilting Calculator.  This can be found here or by entering the search terms "quilting calculator" into the search box in the Android Marketplace.  This is by far the best app I own and I use it so frequently when I'm picking fabrics for my next project.  I really like this calculator because it offers so much in just one app.  Here is a rundown of the different calculations it can do.

Taken from the app description


Fabric Measurement Conversion: Converts between measurement in decimals and fractions.
Backing and Batting Calculator: Determines how much yardage from a bolt of fabric is needed to make the backing for a quilt.
Piece Count Calculator: Shows the number of fixed-sized pieces of fabric that may be cut from a larger piece.
Pieces to Yardage Area Calculator: Indicates how much fabric is needed in order to cut a given number of fixed sized pieces.
Binding Calculator: Tells you the amount of fabric required to bind your quilt based on the quilt’s dimensions and the binding strip width.
Border Calculator: Shows the amount of fabric required to create borders, based on a quilt’s dimensions and the width of the borders.
Square in a Square Calculator: Works out all the key dimensions of a square in a square block.
Set-in and Corner Triangle Calculator: Determines the size of the square piece you’ll need to cut in order to create both unfinished set-in triangles and unfinished corner triangles.

 
The next app is the "How Much Thread Does it Take" app by Superior Threads.  This can be found here or by entering the search terms "Superior Threads" into the search box in the Android Marketplace.  This app is only semi useful as it can't tell exactly how much thread you're going to need but it can give you a ball park.  Just follow the prompts it gives you and it might save you an extra trip to the quilt shop for more thread.

The third app is a "Thread Selection Guide" again by Superior Threads.  This can be found here or by entering the search terms "Superior Threads" into the search box in the Android Marketplace.  This app I don't think I've ever used other than playing around but I think this is mostly because I've never used Superior Threads.  I assume this would be a perfect app for beginners and those who don't know one type of sewing thread from another (like me!). 


I also have a color wheel app but to be honest I'm not that impressed with it so I'm not going to take the time to write about it.  There are a ton of color wheel apps out there, I say find one that's the easiest for you to understand.




Are there any other to-die for apps out there on the market?




No comments:

Post a Comment