Pages

Sunday, July 3, 2011

Benvenuti in Italia!

Welcome to Italy!  Yay!  I'm finally here!  So I got my big move out of the way thank goodness!  There was only a little bit of stressing out (that's the truth) and the plane ride wasn't too bad (that's a lie).  It was actually pretty terrible and I will probably not be traveling with this particular airline ever again if I can help it.  On my first plane from RIC to ATL we were packed in there like sardines, just one on top of each other.  It was a full flight that was overbooked, so I guess I should feel lucky I even got my seat.  I would of flipped if they didn't give me my seat.  Hell hath no fury like a stressed mommy.  My layover was nice, munchkin and I shared a taco salad and he made friends!  My plane from ATL to VCE, oh goodness where should I start.  Once again packed on top of each other and the plane was rather small the seats went 2 3 2 instead of the traditional 3 5 3 on international flights.  I think the thing that bothered me the most was the distance between the seats,  there wasn't enough space between me and the seat in front of me to hold the munchkin while he slept and have my tray table down.  The one redeeming factor was the passengers around me.  In front of me was a soldier just getting into base where I was going, to the right of me was some random Italian who was a good sport for having a small child around him, to the left of me was a cranky couple, and sitting behind me was the self proclaimed on board grandpa (he reminded me of the dad from the movie Easy A).  He was super nice and walked the munchkin around for me a couple times so I could eat or use the restroom.

I got to know a bit about him from what I saw waiting in ATL and from talking to his family.  He was on board with his wife, 2 sons, daughter in law, and grandson (around munchkin's age).  The first thing I noticed was that all the males were bald.  Instantly I knew I could bond with this family right away.  I was talking to the older son and found out that his brother does in fact have cancer.  His brother couldn't have been more than 20.  But I shared munchkin's story with cancer so we both know how each other felt.  Going to Italy was on his brother's list and wow did he get to go in style to!  His father bumped both him and his mother up to first class!   But truly this family was one of the nicest ones I've met in a while so please keep them in your thoughts.  I only wish I could have gotten a way to stay in touch with them.

Once we touched down in VCE I got very antsy.  I mean now my husband was only a matter of feet from me!  I was abruptly brought down from my high when my luggage took an obscenely long time to appear!  I had to get the soldier that was sitting in front of me to help out with my bags, I needed one more arm to manage the bags and the stroller.  Then FINALLY I saw him in the crowd waiting to find their loved ones.  Wow!  I can't even express the emotions (all good ones) that were pouring from when I finally got to him.  I saw fireworks yes I did, right there in the airport!  It's those fireworks you see when you get to greet the person you love after months of not seeing them.

Munchkin had fun with the French MRE!
Then after several more hours of waiting around for the shuttle bus to post we finally get home.  Boy does it feel good to be home, in my home!  The hubby says he has a surprise for me also!  Turns out they are MREs!  For those who aren't savvy in Army lingo MREs are Meals Ready to Eat also known as rations.  Annnnd you're probably thinking "Wow, she's excited over that?!" well I am only because 3 of my 4 MREs were from different countries!  He recently was a part of the D-Day reenactment in Normandy, France where he was able to get French, British, and German MREs.  It was really exciting getting to unpack them and see all the different things that come in each.  I tell ya what though, these foreign guys get much more than our soldiers.
French MRE
French MRE



French MRE

German MRE
German MRE



British MRE

British MRE

United States MRE
United States MRE

2 comments:

  1. Jeff wants to know where the Italian MRE is, apparently they used to have wine? Glad to hear you are getting settled in Italy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll have to ask Jon about it. If he can manage to get one I'll add the pictures!

    ReplyDelete