Pages

Sunday, July 10, 2011

There is no "I give up!" in "DONE"

So I finished the Tinkerbell quilt!  Yay!  I really like the end product and I hope the receiver of this quilt also enjoys it!  This is only my second quilt ever and compared to my first quilt this is a giant leap forward.  I completely couldn't have gotten this done if it weren't for my sister-in-law over at Make It Modern, she really has been an awesome resource throughout this.


Chain piecing the first white strip
 I really don't know right now how to put into words my experience with this quilt, it was more of feelings.  Sometimes I hated it and sometimes I loved it, but I was always very excited about it!  Putting it all together really wasn't as frustrating as I thought it was going be, most of my seams came out straight.  There were a couple that were just waaay too crooked for me to be happy with, but my seam ripper definantly did not get  as much love as it was expecting.  My biggest mistake was not enough fabric.  When I was first designing it I didn't have in mind the purple border.  Without the border, though, it would have just come out too small so I ended up having to get new fabric for the back.

Chain piecing the second purple strip
I was going back and forth trying to decided to do flannel or a lightweight cotton but flannel won out when I found the perfect shade of purple gingham.  I really like the contrast of the geometric on the back with all the prints on the front, I think it is exactly what this quilt was missing.  My dimensions were a perfect fit for this flannel so I thought I'd only need one cut of this fabric.  Oh how I was wrong.  I could have done with a few more inches width wise and I completely didn't take into consideration the selvage!  They were really sneaky with the selvage though, it wasn't a solid white at the bottom so I didn't notice it like I should have.  In the end I made it work.

The top all pieced together!

For the actual quilting I just did straight lines since my machine isn't quite big enough to do anything fancy, not to mention my lack of skill.  I did lines 1/4" from the seams going both horizontal and vertical so the pattern that emerged mimicked the gingham but more on a plaid scale, it is quite fitting (I REALLY LOVE IT).  OH! btw if you're ever lacking in quilt clips or find that you go through them like candy (breaking, loosing, etc.) try using plastic link toys.  I took a couple from son that had some nice teething/grippy stuff on them and they worked perfect for this size quilt.  These are also very convenient if you're a night quilter, it's too easy to dash out to your nearest 24 hour mega store and visit the baby section!






3 comments:

  1. i only wish i could be there so you could see it in person!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh... I saw this on flickr. I didn't see the quilting on it until I read your post. I like the colors and the quilting is great!

    ReplyDelete