Pages

Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Inspiration

The munchkin and his Grand
So this past weekend I got to visit Venice again, only this time I did more looking with my eyes than my camera. The first time I went we walked around the city and along the water front and didn't really go inside anywhere, this time we went and visited the Doge's Palace and the Peggy Guggenheim Collection.  Walking through the Doge's Palace it's hard to believe that someone actually lived there and it functioned as a government center.  From floor to ceiling this place is filled with beautiful paintings of the Old World.  The armoury and the prisons were quite a site to see too!
View from the top floor of the Doge's Palace looking into the courtyard
View of Venice's outlying islands from the armoury at the Doge's Palace
Inside the courtyard at the Doge's Palace



Did I mention I got to go see the Guggenheim Collection??  It amazed me to see so many of the big names in art in one place.  I mean there was Salvador  DalĂ­, Pablo Picasso, Jackson Pollock, and so many more.  The inspiration that came pouring from these great works of art was immense!  I decided Theo van Doesburg would be my place to start.  His work Composition in Gray (Rag-time) translated really well into the quilting world.  This ended up being a very clean-lined, modern quilt and I cannot wait to make this.  This one is designed as a lap quilt, the center of it mimicking Doesburg's piece with a 3" black border all the way around to represent a frame.  I also think Robert Delaunay's Windows Open Simultaneously 1st Part, 3rd Motif would make a lovely pinwheel quilt.


No comments:

Post a Comment