Pages

Monday, July 18, 2011

Tutorial: Reusable Tissues

I know what most people are thinking "ew yucky!" but since I've been here in Italy it has really made me aware of how much waste my family and I create.  The biggest culprit is of course diapers, but I do not have access to a decent washer to take on something like this.  But as I was cleaning the past week I disturbed A LOT of dust and I got to sneezing.  I must have blown my nose about a dozen times throughout the day and that's when I realized how much tissue/toilet paper/paper towels I alone go through just blowing my nose!  So I've decided to make some tissues out of fabric and I created a very easy to follow tutorial to go along with them.  I did mine out of a fat quarter and got 3 that came out to be 4 1/2" x 8 1/2" and 1 that came out to 5 1/2" x 8 1/2".  So from 1 fat quarter you can get 4 tissues.  This is also a great project to use up scraps.  OH one more thing, while these are great for day to day use and using with allergies I do not recommend using these while you have the flu or any other highly contagious sickness.


Materials:
1 fat quarter or 5" x 18" piece of fabric
thread
sewing machine (you have one of those right?)

Step 1

Begin with your favorite pre-project fabric treatment (wash, press, etc.)




 Step 2

Fold in half with the right sides of the fabric facing each other.




Step 3

Cut 5" wide strips




Step 4

Sew with a 1/4" seam allowance on all 3 open sides, leave about 1 1/2" hole to use to turn it


Step 5
Turn and press




Step 6

Top stich and you're done!

No comments:

Post a Comment